Translate

samedi 8 décembre 2012

Relic, mixed media rusted iron paint abstract by Carol Nelson

Relic, mixed media rusted iron paint abstract by Carol Nelson:

Relic




As you can see, I'm still stuck in my rust affair. The color of this rust has got to be my favorite color in the world.

I think it goes back to when my husband and I were buying our first house. The color of the carpet in the model home was that rust color.  Of course, I chose the same carpet in our new house.

In addition to the rusted iron paint used throughout this piece, there is mica flake on the two horizontal bars, and a rusted Snapple bottle cap that I ran over with my car in the lower left.

If you're going to add metal parts to your painting, I recommend flattening them a bit by putting them under a board, and driving a 2000 lb vehicle over them.  Works like a charm.

The other rounded shapes in the lower section are actually indentations I made in the substrate, which is extruded polystyrene.  This is a new experiment in substrate.  Polystyrene can be found at Home Depot as insulation sheet.  It's very dense, but lightweight.  There was a thin plastic covering on it that I removed before painting.

The background is handmade metallic paper mounted on a piece of MDF board.

To see more detail shots, click here to go to my website.

Aucun commentaire:

AddThis